post-doorjak.jpg

Here’s something that I’d want if I was a facilities manager: the DoorJak.  It’s a cart custom-designed to simplify the carrying and installation of doors.  A pre-finished door lays against the front of the DoorJak — just like on a standard two-wheel dolly — but the DoorJak also allows you to crank the door up and down and as much as 1″ left or right to align it perfectly for installation.

Rollers on the “dolly” front protect your door’s finish, and the door’s angle is adjustable with a hand wheel.  The 24″ wide base rides on four casters so you can easily roll the DoorJak into an elevator or around your facility.

When I first saw this, I immediately thought of college facility managers.  You’d be amazed how many doors colleges replace every week, and it’s truly a pain in the ass getting the doors out and aligned.  This would not only simplify the job, it’d also turn door replacement into a one-man job, which would easliy justify the DoorJak’s hefty $2,300 price tag.

Of course, if you’re installing only a few doors, that price might make you choke — or start looking at the picture closely while reaching for your welder.

The Model 100 (pictured) can handle doors up to 750 pounds.  DoorJak also offers a smaller without as many features for around $600.

Heavy Duty Door Installation Cart, Model 100 [DoorJak]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What's this?]

11 Responses to The Easy Way To Install Commercial Doors

1. Jack says:

Ya, this would be great for a dorm. It would make it so much easier to put the closet door back on after beer-pong is over.

2. Tony Clifton says:

All it needs is an extra leg attatched to the top so you can just swing that dorm door to horizontal once the “table” is in position.

3. Michael B says:

We had something similar to this at a door manufacturer I worked at in high school. It was not as heavy duty but allowed you to move and position the door when working alone. The part that is really the most important is being able to finely adjust the height to match the hinge slots on the door jamb. Ours had what looked like a small steering wheel to crank it up and down. I think it was custom built by the guys back in the welding shop.

4. hanger says:

this is a JOKE! Commercial door installers laugh at this. too big and bulky to move around in offices with expensive furniture. too slow, my boss would fire me on the spot if i showed up with this. a 2 wheeled door dolly, a bit of muscle, and proper hanging tecnique is all that is required.

• Gizmo says:

Hanger, you’re right. Seems you’ve actually installed some doors. A two-wheel is the best way I’ve found and I hang a LOT of doors. This thing would be useless in almost every case.
      I build my own door dollies. The ones I’ve seen online don’t seem to be as good as the ones I’ve built and more expensive. Just my opinion, of course.

5. kyle says:

I thinl that in the proper situation it would work well but in most cases it would either be in the way or ot able to be used at all

6. kevin says:

I owne the heavy duty type and it has it place in the industry but even with that said the unit needs many changes.

7. Steven says:

I recently had to install a 525lb door and wish I had this!

8. Grant says:

I agree with hanger. This cart is too bulky for practical use. We’ve always found the two wheel dolly plenty effective. There’s a pretty good one for sale at http://www.doorkart.com