post-pcoven.jpg

This inexpensive powder coat oven from Harbor Freight might be a good alternative to that “recovered” oven you’ve been thinking about installing in the shop.  Why?  It runs on 110V so you don’t have to drop 220V, it’s a lot more compact, and you need a range top in the garage like you need an extra hole in your head.

It’s temperature adjustable to 480 degrees F, and it draws about 15A peak, which means it’ll easily run off a “freezer plug.”  The inside is an 18″ cube, so this would work great for small items (like valve covers), and this would be a great match for Craftsman’s (or Eastwood’s) gun-based powdercoating systems.

Best of all: it’s on sale for $350 — down from the $399 you’ll see on the website — in the most recent HF sale flyer.  The deal’s good through June 25th.

Powder Coat Oven [Harbor Freight]

13 Responses to Cheap-Ass Tools: A $350 Powder Coat Oven

1. Rick says:

Haha.. Well said.. and say.. how did you know I was looking for an old electric range?

Too bad it’s not cheap-ass enough for my even-cheaper ass. Nice find though.

Anyone have any experience with one?

2. Phil says:

I used one at a motorcycle shop I used to work at. We mostly used it for brackets and other fabricated parts and sent out the parts that wouldn’t fit or needed fancy colors. It was convenient not having to worry about turnaround for the little stuff, and was a better option than using rattle cans of paint.

Anyways, I don’t recall ever having any problems with it for the year I was working there, but we got it just after I started, so it was pretty new and I don’t know if I can speak for the longevity of it. Then again, Harbor Freight offers extended warranties, and if I recall correctly allow (essentially) no questions asked exchanges.

3. Alan Kimball says:

Still on sale ???

4. Byron says:

Don’t forget the $75 upcharge for heavy item, and they refuse to get them in the stores for you. razzle-fratz.

5. Andy says:

I think this is great, and I am excited to get this shipped to me. I ordered it yesterday and even though it looks terrible, its cheap and hopefully does the job.

6. A friend encoraged me to check out this website, brill post, fascinating read… keep up the cool work!

7. Steve says:

Do you think that this item from HF can be extended 18 inches in heat?Maybe cut the top off and extend it to 18 more inches. I need to pw 36″ 3/4 aluminum tubing.

8. Rick says:

I purchased this Harbor Freight oven almost 8 years ago. The first oven came damaged, if it were only cosmetic I would not have cared but it was dropped and the door would not seal. Second one a month later worked fine, at first. After about 2 years of use the thermostat started to act up, this happened many times over the last 8 years.

Had to take it apart and clean the mechanical thermostat out. Then after 4 years of use the recirculating fan stopped working, it’s such a small oven you absolutely need it. Easy fix, take it apart and add some 500+ deg grease. Just recently the motor finally had to be replaced. 2 of the high temp (supposedly) burned in half after about 2 years also.

Sometimes I use this oven for 10 hrs a day, reguardless it does get used 4 days a week. Even with the problems I would buy it again, paid $340 for it 8 years ago, the fixes were easy for anybody with a mechanical background. I don’t think it was manufactured for long service, like anything from Harbor Freight you better expect problems but if you know that going in its not so upsetting. It is still working fine, used it last night for about 4 hrs. 12/23/2012.

It comes with adjustable shelves but I fabricated hangers and everything hangs from the ceiling. I have recently built a large oven, the cost for insulation alone was more than I paid for the small harbor freight oven.

9. John Hayward says:

where can I purchase this powdercoating oven. can’t seem to locate this one for %350.00 that is advertised on “toolmonger” thanks John

• Sean says:

You can still get this oven for Harbor Freight, The normal price is now $499 but with a 20% coupon, that makes it 399 and if you wait for a holiday, they usually have 25% off coupons making it 375ish.

10. Tyson Wheeler says:

Help! Does anyone know where to find a data sheet on this oven? What’s the accuracy (+-2.0degreesF)? Harbor Freight doesn’t have the manual or data sheet and I can’t find it anywhere online.

11. Pam says:

Does anyone know where I can purchase 2 Model #46300 Chicago Electric Power Tools Powder Coat Oven?

12. Rod Macie says:

Check with the manufacturer – (Chicago Pneumatic ) , as to the technical specs on the model , powdercoat oven ? .