mr7hands.jpg

Not to be confused with Mr. Potato Head’s disfigured third cousin or an over-active teenager on a date, Mr. 7-Hands is a screwdriver-based multi-tool with an entire shaft for each of its multiple bits — seven in all.  The shafts stow into the driver’s handle and deploy for use.  Two AAA batteries additionally power a small flashlight in the handle.

OK, we admit that we’d probably have never posted this if it wasn’t for its goofy name, but we couldn’t help it.  What sort of engineer looks at a multi-bit screwdriver and thinks, “What this needs is multiple shafts?

Mr. 7-Hands [Apollo Tools]
Street Pricing [Google Product Search]
Via Amazon [What's This?]

46 Responses to Mr. 7-Hands: A Solution Seeking A Problem?

1. Jake says:

Maybe they kept losing the bits??

2. Cybergibbons says:

Recessed screw holes in most electrical stuff won’t take a standard 1/4″ hex bit holder, so one of these is useful for that.

3. Sean says:

This item is available for $2.79 here:

4. Reminds me of the SwissTech ScrewBall.

5. eschoendorff says:

Pass.

6. Kurt Schwind says:

I’m not sure I could hold my head up high if a friend came over to borrow a tool and saw that in my toolbox.

7. ba614 says:

I’d rather have Mr. Potato Head … maybe I’ll get one of these and use the bits for arms and legs and the handy dandy flashlight as a cyclops eye … then I’d have the Mr. Cyclops Potato Head

8. Jake says:

Good point cybergibbons. I have had that trouble before.

9. You can get extended 1/4″ narrow-shank bits, but they’re not common. The Performance Tool by me has them, and I adore my 3″ #2 Phillips.

I’d have to try one of these suckers, but I think I see the point. It’s not unlike the folding hex key sets, but with a rounder handle. On that note, I wonder if they could build a double-ended “Mrs. 14 hands” version?

10. Freddie says:

I like it. I always get these big itches just between my shoulder blades. This looks perfect for that…

11. jessa says:

HELP!! how the hell do i put the batteries in the mr 7-hands tool??

12. sara says:

yea how do i put the batteries in ??????

13. Stuey says:

There might be a compartment at the top end of the screwdriver that you may or may need to unscrew.

In any case, you can email the distributor. If you follow the above link, you’ll see an email at the bottom of the page for US Sales.

mailto:sales.usa@apollotools.com

14. Trisha says:

To put in new batteries put pressure (pushing down) on the on/off arrow and then push the clip up. Had to have my husband figure it out for me He is good with puzzles I can’t solve.

• Myrna Des Voigne says:

Thank you. I just could not figure out how to change the batteries, but knew they got in there so they had to come out. Thanks.

15. Markus Thompson says:

I got one of these for christmas and am still not sure if I like it? How do ya lock the blades so they don’t collapse while screwin, so to speak?

16. Sam says:

Thanks Trisha. I got the battries in but the flashlight still didn’t work has to “adjust” the switch.

17. Connie says:

Yay Trish and Trish’s husband!

I agree this is kind of a sissy tool but it’s a handy thing to keep in the car. Also I have a lot of trouble with pain in my hands so the large handle is nice.

18. Burgess says:

Woohoo! Let there be light… again!

Thanks Trish!

19. bob the builder says:

thanks for the flashlight help!

20. busstopbill44 says:

still really confused as to how to replace batteries…im usually good at figuring these things out but it got me stumped

21. John says:

You need two AAA batteries. One goes directly in the middle (+ end up); the other goes to the side (under where the spring in the cover goes [- end up]). I had a little difficulty opening the compartment because I was afraid to press too hard and break it, but that’s exactly what you have to do!

22. Ray says:

This is actually one of the best tools you can give a college bound kid to take to the dorm. I have one and it’s come in handy, but the batteries are hard to get in.

23. Antonio says:

It´s been really a puzzle, after visiting dozens of sites including manufacturer one, and attempts to figure out how to hell this flashlight item works, I found this site and thanks to Trisha and John I could put the batteries in. Yes, the light worked Ooooops.

24. At a loss says:

I usually have a knack for figuring this stuff out, AND following directions, but I still have yet to put batteries in this thing, and I’m getting real close to taking a hammer to it! I’ve slid the clip up and down and back and forth and have tried lifting it, but nothing works. Someone please HELP!

25. At a loss says:

Scratch my last post… I took a hammer to it! J/K

Ok for those of you who are still trying to figure it out: slide the clip toward “Off” with as much force as you can muster, and the entire center part (Apollo emblem) and clip, should detach from the rest of the tool. Mine was so tough, I had to tap the clip on the edge of a table, and sure enough it popped off… voila! Think of it like the lid of a pen that’s on too tight… by tapping the tip of the clip, it should pop off.

26. It Grew on Me says:

I got my Mr. Seven Hands a couple of years ago as a gift and thought that it was just silly. During that time it has grown on me and I have found it to be probably the handiest tool I own. Those nice narrow shafts fit where my other multi-bit srewdrivers don’t; it has that handy clip for when I’m crawling around in the attic, it’s got the nice little flashlight on it, and I have found myself using those little tiny bits on it that are built in too. I don’t even reach for my other screwdriver anymore. I should be on a commercial or something! This really is a fantastic tool.

27. Texmom says:

Got one for my husband. He wasn’t thrilled, but now he uses it all the time. We’re getting one for my son in law who has NO tools.

28. ToolGuy says:

I got one for a gift. Glad I found out about how to change the batteries.

I like the name of it.

My wife says it reminds her of me…….hmmmmm :)

29. JaymeThomas says:

Thank you Trisha & Husband!! My husband and I had a hard time finding were to put the batteries! Thank again!!!!

30. Clueless says:

I bought this tool for the tiniest phillips and flat head screw driver. The really little ones get lost easily and are hard to locate at a store when you need one for small jobs.
    The tool is worth it just for that alone, but the built-in flashlight seems pretty cool too. Who care’s if the thing looks funny if it has the right size tool for the job? And the whole thing is too big too lose–another plus.

31. Colonel John says:

Thanks to Trisha & John…Got the darn thing opened and properly added the batteries…(Was afraid to apply too much pressure to plastic stuff) but reassured that it would require “force” did “it” and ta da!!!…cheers, jmv

32. Gail says:

OMG! Kudos to Trisha and her husband. I have had my tool for 2 years and I now have light! Thank you so very much for the instructions on getting batteries into my tool. I am now whole! Thanks!

33. Deely says:

I have one of these tools and sort of forgot I had it. I was putting up venetian blinds and had about 6 different screw drivers and they were all rolling and falling off the table while I was trying to work. Wish I had remembered I had this one at the time. Next time I won’t. They do start to rust after a little while though. And, as one poster above said, there should be a way to lock the one you are using into place so it won’t bend on you when you put pressure on the screw. But, really good for small jobs around the house. I carry mine around with me wherever I go in case I need a screw driver (any size).

34. Russell says:

If your not strong enough to open the battery compartment, I just clipped the on off switch to my pants leg and pulled

35. Greg says:

I have a durabuilt Mr 7 Hands how do you replace the batteries

36. fm elliott says:

pry off the endcap that contains the on/off push button, then slide the belt clip out and install the battery in the clip.

37. Leslie says:

I suppose you can pry off the end cap, however, above, Trisha says to push down on the on/off switch while also pushing toward the endcap and the end cap slides off. I came here looking to find the answer to the same issue.

38. Bruce says:

I’ll bet the IBM “Watson” computer who beat two smart humans on Jeopardy last week wouldn’t have known how to change the batteries in this tool. Hurray for human intelligence and helpfulness and thanks to all those who posted the explanation here — and to the guys who came up with Google, without which I could never have found this site!

39. russell says:

yes push the on/off switch down real hard and push it out batt underneath

40. Jimbo says:

I just bought a Mr. Sevenhands at a yard sale. Thanks to those who explained how to change the batteries. Now mine works great. I love mine. What a versatile tool. It is a little Rube Goldberg but who cares.

41. Kelly says:

I absolutely LOVE this tool! While it will never warrant a space in my toolbox, it certainly comes in handy at the office.

42. RENEA says:

I actually thought this was a joke at first. I got it in a CHristmas stocking two years ago from my MIL and never touched it. Then I got a new position at work that requires me to have several different sizes of flat and phillips heads and refound this in a box in the garage so I brought it to work. The flashlight didn’t work so I took out the bulb and refixed the coils around it and put it back in then the batteries in and now it works. This has really come in handy for things like adjusting the drafting table and taking apart and putting back together furniture and other things that are delivered put together incorrectly. I’m not laughing anymore, Mr 7 hands fits in my pocket and I can easily store it in my desk drawer. I never have to worry about lugging a heavy tool box to and from our different locations. It has defenatly earned kudos from me.

43. melissa says:

I have one of these and i love it.i keep my “real” tools in a toolbox in my shed but i keep this in a drawer in the house. Great for quick access to any kind of screwdriver i need and i dont have to worry about losing different tips. It feels pretty solid too.

44. Don says:

Flashlight will not work, Grandson got 3 of them a few years ago for both Grandpas and His Dad, but none of the flashlights would work then or now. tried to fool around with it today, put in a new aaa battery but can’t get to the bulb don’t know how to open it.

45. Jan says:

I received this as a gift and truly love it! I must admit, I had to seek help also to learn how to put batteries in. I was teetering on going over the edge & bashing it with a hammer when I thought I might find the answer through product reviews and alas, thanks to those who spent endless time and energy to solve the puzzle and share their findings, I regained my sanity and Mr.7-Hands was saved! This is now my special go-to tool for small jobs around the house & has proudly earned a place in my kitchen gadget drawer. Thanks Apollo for making such a nice tool that is easy for women to use as well as men.