hot-or-not2.jpg
post-bdmower.jpg

We mentioned an electric lawn mower the other day but as many pointed out, it wasn’t cordless.  Here’s a cordless model from Black & Decker.  FWIW, we’ve seen numerous cordless models from a variety of vendors, but we’ve always wondered how they work in real life.

The model pictured above is a 24V from Black & Decker which offers a 19″ cut and sells for just under $400.  Of course, there are others.

Before you comment, remember that we’re asking what you think about using one of these for a small lawn — not a 1+ acre field.  Certainly there’s a point at which you’d be far better off with a gas mower.  But considering how much quieter these are — and how they might represent less maintenance — what do you think?

Let us know in comments.

24V Cordless Mulching Mower [Black & Decker]
Street Pricing [Froogle]
Via Amazon [What's this?]

101 Responses to Hot or Not? Cordless Electric Lawn Mowers

1. Fred says:

I had an electric lawn mower years ago when I had a yard half the size of a tennis court. It was like running a vacuum cleaner. I’d do it again if I had another yard that small. The only issue I had with that mower was being careful not to run over the cord. Never did.

2. James says:

I have a Yardworks (Canadian Tire brand) 24V 20″ cordless mower. It’s normally $400 but I got it on sale for $250.

It works quite well on my lawn, which is average-sized. It’s quiet, powerful, and convenient. It is a little on the heavy side with the NiCd batteries, but no heavier than a gas mower.

At $250, it’s definitely hot, but $400 might be a bit much.

Yardworks has since released some cheaper cordless mowers. Particularly interesting is a cordless reel mower with interchangeable 24V batteries for $250, which is how much the Worx sells for up here.

3. Eli says:

I have a cordless mower. No batteries either. I think if you’re working a lawn small enough to use a battery powered mower, you should consider using a push mower. Never run out of gas (or mix it, wipe it up, store it, smell it, etc.) How long would these batteries last? Four years? Five maybe? Then you have to leave it plugged in all the time? My reel mower just leans up against the wall, has for three years, since I hired my gardener. Sometimes he takes a week off, and I just use the reel mower. Ready everytime I reach for it. Probably I’m the only person here who has to worry about it, but I don’t have to concern myself with voltage or standard vs. metric either. It’s going with me to Australia.

4. MikeR says:

I had that mower but Craftsman branded. Worked great on a small to medium sized yard, and I’d defanitly buy one again. Easy to charge, clean and start. I never had to put off mowing because there wasn’t gas handy. Batteries lasted 4-5 years if I remember correctly. I switched to no-motor push mower after that one for the workout because I’m not getting to the gym anymore.

Battery powered mowers are hot.

5. Bohemian says:

I am on my second B&D cordless mower after having the first for around 5 years. Works great on my small lawn. Nice and quiet and mulches well. Paid around 240$ for the first and about 270$ for the same model you have pictured.

6. Greg Epps says:

I had one of these a few years ago when I had a much smaller yard. I think the total lot was around 7400 square feet. I liked it there, but when it was 3 years old, and my lot was bigger (and my brother-in-law borrowed it every week), then the battery went real quick. Like others have said, if your yard is too big for a reel mower, and smaller than half an acre, go for it.

7. TimG says:

I like the concept of electric for a small yard.. not sure about cordless though. I can see this just making it heavier and less conveinient (have to worry about making sure the batteries are charged, future maintenance).

A cord isn’t a big deal for a small yard (not far from an outlet). Would be handy for small areas without an outlet near by I guess.

I’d say NOT, electric is HOT though for a small yard (which I have an will be in the market for the lightest/smallest electric I can find).

Tim

8. James B says:

Here is a less than flattering test report:

9. Wayne D. says:

I used to use a Ryobi cordless several years ago. It worked very well, but it did not have a smart charger and I overchrged the batteries and it really reduced their run time. I didn’t go with batteries from the manufacturer, because they were extremly expensive. they were just sealed 12V batteries with tab terminals and I replaced both of them for about $40. I just got a new one from Home Depot, the brand name is Homelite. Seems pretty decent so far, and the main body is all metal, unlike most electrics. The plastic shells get chewed up by yard debris like sticks, and it makes cleaning the bottom harder.

10. DonnaP says:

I’d like to comment on not the featured mower, but another that I purchased.
    I own the Brill 380ASM Battery Powered Reel Mower and I truly love it except for one serious problem. This mower scalps my lawn! Last summer the grass was consistently cut too short in spite of the 40CM height adjustment and weeds cropped up and the grass turned yellow. I don’t know of any way to put on larger wheels to raise the height or to adjust it higher. I was told that these machines are designed for short grass. Well, $380 later I am dissappointed. Does anyone make an battery reel mower that cuts much higher?

11. Ruben Willmarth says:

I have used 2 cordless electrics: A Ryobi Mulchinator I bought in 1995 (the first real cordless if I recall) and it has been in use every year since. It had a 24V sealed battery that lasted about 10 years, and the second one is going strong. Not a single complaint about that one. I later bought a Toro Recycler 24V in 2000, which used 4x6V batteries, which I’ve replaced once, and will need to again soon. This one tends to clump up under the deck if the grass is wet at all, and the plastic flip-up side discharge just broke off yesterday. I really like not having to hassle with gas, oil, spark plugs etc. I just plug it in when I’m done and that’s it. I’ve sharpened the blade a few times. I’ll definitely be getting another, but it will probably be a Ryobi.

12. Wayne says:

I bought the Homelite 20″ cordless a few weeks ago and so far I love it. It does a good job on my lawn and I’ve even mowed down thicker weeds that accumulated in the dark corners of my South Florida yard.
    It’s easy to clean, very quiet, and a little heavier than my gas mower. It mulches well and comes with a bagger if you want to bag the clippings. I’m very pleased with it.

13. Jason says:

Electric lawn mowers–in particular the Black and Decker cordless model CMM1200 that you have pictured above and the corded Black and Decker model MM875–seemed to rate pretty well in the current issue of Consumer Reports magazine (at least as well as many of the gas-powered push mowers did). The Homelite UT13122 (another cordless model, which I assume is the one that Wayne referred to in the previous post) also rated well.

14. Eric says:

I have a Yardworks rechargeable for Canadian Tire for about $300Cdn on sale a year ago. I do have a large yard which at the start of the season in Victoria took me with a gas mower about 4 hours to fill 2 garbage cans full of grass. The book on the rechargeable says it will last for 1 hour. The first year (2006 since May) I would cut over 3 nights. That’s okay, I can live with that. But the hour shrunk to 50 min. Now I am in the second season and the charge now only lasted 45 min and is now down to 25-30 min on a charge in my first month of cutting. ouch!! I think its just a lead acid battery but are they so short-lived? Bigger batteries or a plugin battery pack would be nice. The grass catcher is also a bit of pain as it has to be emptied from the tiny opening that fills it. There should be clasp at the large back end making it easier to empty.

15. I bought a Yardworks cordless 19 inch way back in 2004, and it’s still going, though the battery seems to discharge quicker. As I mentioned in my blog report, in the first two seasons it would cut a very decent sized lawn, but I have since moved to a place with a smaller lawn and it cuts the whole lot on one charge, so I can’t tell how much it would cut before running out of juice. It doesn’t do well in long grass, but if you cut regularly it’s great.

I think there are several great reasons to go cordless, but the biggest is that gas mowers are terrible polluters.

16. Lew A says:

I have a Neuton cordless mower that I have been using for going 4 seasons now. I have an acre of property – 40 percent lawn. It has a swapable 24 volt lead acid battery. The mower is a little small to handle my size property, but I have two fully charged batteries on hand when I mow and when one starts to get low I pull that one out and drop the other battery in. This gives me two hours of mowing time. I considered the Black and Decker cordless. It has a wider cut than the Neuton but does not have a swapable battery. I just saw on the internet that Bosch in Germany is selling a range of cordless mowers in UK and Germany with a swapable Lithium Ion battery. The company claims it charges 100 percent in one hour for one hour of mowing time. These machines can cut tall and wet grass since they have very powerful motors. The lithium ion battery is also 40 percent lighter that lead acid batteries with no memory loss. I am hoping that Bosch markets this mower in the US. I am also urging the maker of the Neuton to make a wider cut mower. I am also urging Black and Decker to make their cordless with a swapable battery.

17. larry says:

I’ve used this Black and Decker mower for more than 4 years and I love it. Cutting time for each mowing is about 1 hour, 1 or 2 times a week for 8 months of the year. It has more than sufficient power to cut the deeper grass, and I have not yet run out of battery power before the job is done. I replaced the batteries after 3 years (quite expensive) but even then it was a small price to pay for the convenience of cordless electric and to not have to deal with gas, oil, tuneups, etc. I especially like the one-touch height adjustment.

I spend 16 hours a week cutting lawns (part-time retirement job) cutting lawns with commercial self-propelled Honda, Husquavarnah and Toro gas mowers. They have superior vacuuming capability and loads of power, but I wouldn’t trade any of them for the maneuverability and zero emissions of my B&D.

18. Alex Beamish says:

I have a Yard Works (Canadian Tire 60-1767-6) rechargeable mower, and it worked like a champ last year when I got it, but this year it runs our after about five minutes, about enough time to do half of my small back yard. All Canadian Tire could tell me was that the battery has a one-year warranty — which means it’s either pay for a repair, or buy a new one.

Something tells me I won’t be buying another rechargeable. Oh, and I’ve been on hold with Yard Works for ten minutes.

19. Leslie says:

A cordless mower was the clear choice for friend who is partially disabled by heart problems and stroke. He’s used the B&D cordless for three years now without any troubles. Seeing how well it worked for him, I’d definitely consider getting one.

20. John says:

Where can I buy the new Bosch cordless mower – it really looks like a great mower

21. The nice thing about electric mowers is that, once you move the batteries out, you can flip ‘em over for servicing and not dribble oil all over. Spray the underside of the deck out with the hose, and wash/wax it just like a car. A coating of Eagle One under there will make sure grass can’t stick to it.

22. Perry says:

Bosch is selling a lithium ion lawn mower in England but it is not available in the US. I wish they did!

23. John says:

Just bought the Homelite 20″, 24 Volts Cordless Mower. When I first bought it, was a little concerned (if it didn’t do the job, etc). Guy @ Home Depot said, if you don’t like it just return it (even after a use or two). My lawn was a bit high (over 4 inches in places), due to the other mower finally giving up the ghost after 18 years of service (it rusted out).

Wow ! – It’s quiet, clean and does the job every bit as good as the old one.
    Don’t come in smelling like exhaust fumes.

I have 5000 sq. feet & it cleared it out with plenty of charge to spare.

Has a mulch feature, so that I re-cycle the grass clippings as well.

Overall a 5 Star, great product !

24. Stuart says:

I bought a Yard Works 20″ 24v mower last year.
    Worked wonderfully for the first year. It only took me 15 minutes to finish my lawn and it looked great when done.
    This year, the battery is dead after 5 to 10 minutes. I can’t even finish my small lawn on a “full” charge.
    I won’t be buying another electric.
    I guess it is back to a polution spewing gas mower :(

25. Chuck Cage says:

Stuart: Just a thought, but why not swap the battery out?

26. I don’t suppose you let the battery freeze, did you?

27. Linda Lemphers-Fenton says:

Have had a bad experience with Yardworks mower with battery. Doesn’t cut the grass very well at all. I am taking mine back for a refund especially since I found a website where others also have found it to be a problem. See website link below if you want the details…

28. James Sime says:

For years, I’ve used battery-powered mowers for trimming on a half-acre lot

I ran this one for 3-4 years, but the Ryobi 24v Battery Operated Cordless Push Lawnmower was too heavy and awkward to manuver when mowing.

I currently am shopping for a replacement for my 3-year old B&D CMM630 — the 13.5 inch rear wheels are awful — wobble and loosen up (have even falled off) — mulching mower worked fine — nice and light weight. I wish I could have purchased the model I didn’t know existed — the CMM625 with four small wheels.

I might buy a Neuton — like the light weight — like the replaceable battery — like the cutting height — don’t like the price, but maybe I can find if on sale somewhere.

29. Darren Tanke says:

Last year I bought a Yardworks electric mower (model 60-1752-0; battery model number 23900) from Canadian Tire and it worked great 1 summer. This year I noticed the charge would not last. Two days ago it lasted 20 minutes. I just tried mowing the lawn and the charge lasted 5 minutes. Don’t buy this type of mower! At this rate it will take me many days to cut my lawn and when I’m done the last part, the first setion will be ready to cut again!

30. Alan says:

I have owned three cordless push mowers and a Craftsman Electric Rider. The rider was bought in 1976 by my father-in-law, uses 3 12V deep cycle marine batteries, and (until yesterday when the drive motor burned out) cuts grass like a champ. I had a Black and Decker like shown above and a Toro 36V cordless. With the Toro, I too had a great battery life the first year, and then would experience loss of life in the following years. I got one set of batteries replaced under warrenty, and then the next year I had to buy my own. What I have found is if I take my batteries out (both the Toro and the Craftsman) and put them in my basement instead of leaving them in the machine in my shed. When I install them the next year, they work great. I think storing them (even with the charger on) in the cold (I live in southern Michigan) affects their lives. The Toro is sitting dead right now as the built-in charge unit is not working. I found a Homelite 20″ 24V at Home Depot for $200 so I bought it and will see how it works. I will make sure I put the batteries inside for the winter though.

31. D. Heath says:

Bought a Yardworks 20 ” cordless in August 2006. By July 2007, the batteries were fading lasting about 3-5 minutes.
    New batteries ordered through Canadian Tire which failed after a few minutes….even after charging for 2 days.
    Into warranty repair folks now. They say both the charger and the replacement batteries (sealed lead- acid)were faulty.
    Back to gas for me !! Maybe its possible to mount a gas engine where the electric now sits ?

32. Miamikk says:

I checked out HomeDepot last night and they have Homelite 24V for about $317 or so. I see from another post (from Alan) that the price is around $200. Can anyone who bought this model tell me the what they paid for it ??

33. Swanson says:

Just picked up a used Homelite 20′ cordless for $165 at Home Depot, it was missing the grass catcher. Called the number on the mower and the company is sending me a free grass catcher, score! I plan on building a solar charger for this mower to go totally green. PS the Mower did great (2 passes) on my burmuda lawn that had not been mowed in 4 weeks.

34. Andrea says:

I have a Neuton, which I got for about $250 when I turned in my gas lawnmower to our local utility district (SMUD). I have had back surgery and love this mower. No mechanical problems in 3 years use. Very lightweight! I have a small yard with two lawns. I appreciate not experiencing noise and fumes.

35. Ole Vik says:

I looked at Canadian Tire’s Yardworks 20″ and 14″ cordless mowers today at off-season prices – $250 (reg $400) and 200 (reg 300) respectively. The 20″ has non-swapable battery, the 14″ swapable battery (lead-acid weighing 16 lbs).

The equipment manuals say to charge batteries every two weeks when not using. Is failure to do this the reason for 5-minute battery life the second year as reported in several comments above? If charging every two weeks is what it takes, it’s a real pain, and in my mind an inconvenience not worth it (in Manitoba the mower rests 7 months of the year).

Is the lead acid battery becoming outdated technology now when we have Lithium Ion?

I bought a Bosch Rotak 43 (17″ cutting width) this year to use in Europe. It came with two swapable Lithium ion batteries (weighing a couple of pounds each). The whole mower is very light weight. Batteries are fully charged in an hour, and has no memory – can be charged partly or fully any time. Storing until next year, I left the batteries at about half charge and stored in styrofoam box in unheated house. I have high expectations of the Li ion batteries, and will find out next year how they took the winter storage.

Manufacturers in North America ought to get with it and start using Lithium ion batteries.

36. I have been doing some research on the NEUTON EM 5.1 . This looks like a great mower for small lawns.

37. Day says:

I have a B & D 625 that we happily used for several years. then we hired a yard maintenance company so it has been sitting for about 3 years. W are now trying to get it going for my son to use.

We are trying to find what type of battery it has, how to gain access to the battery, where we can buy a replacement, where we can access a manual to know what we should do, etc. I have not been able to find anything helpful on the internet. Anyone have a suggestion of where we might look?

38. Joe Park says:

We have had our B & D 24v mower about 4 years. Now it runs for a while and then quits, leave it set for 20 min or so and it will run a bit more. I suspect the motor is getting hot and has to cool off. I think if it were a bad battery, it still would be dead after the 20 min wait. ???

Joe

39. Jeff Brown says:

I bought a Homelite UT13122 cordless mower last summer at Home Depot and it worked like a charm on my relatively small lawn. It never ran out of juice and it cut even the tallest, thickest grass – and even wet grass! So last fall after the last cutting, I put it in the crawl space under the house and left the “trickle” charger on it for the winter, which the instructions said to do. Now the problem begins this Spring when the darn thing won’t charge up fully and I can’t tell if it’s the battery or the charger. The red or green light on the charger won’t light up, which tells me it’s not receiving a charge, however, it does run (barely) while plugged in to the charger, which tells me that some power is getting to the mower. The Homelite website is no help and I can’t find anywhere that sells the replacement battery OR charger. So now I have a one season mower. I’m thinking of going back to gas.

40. Mike M says:

I just purchased the new Neuton 6.2 cordless mower. I also bought an extra battery. This new model has a wider cut (19″) and a 36V battery. They must have had the idea before Lew A contacted them or they are really fast at development. This model has plenty of power, I started mowing with the height set too low and it didn’t even bog down the motor. Obviously it’s too early to know about the reliability but from the reports about the 5.2 model it should do well.

41. J. Connolly says:

In the late 1950′s we had a corded electric mower. It was very sturdy, had a reversing handle, a single handle that easily raised or lowered all four wheels, and a spinner that showed the blade was moving. Best of all it was WHISPER QUIET! Dad explained that a well functioning electric motor makes almost no noise. Unfortunately, he told me later that they were no longer being made, since they lasted so long that they were not repurchased often enough, and since so many people wrongly equated noise with power. The electric mowers after them have had a very annoying blaring sound added – the manufacturers claimed as a safety precaution, but really just as much to appeal to the noise = power market. My question: can the added noise maker on electric mowers be removed? Thanks.

42. Rick says:

Bosch Rotak 37 Why the heck they don’t sell this in the US baffles me. Better than anything here. Damn lucky folks across the pond.

43. Travis Rassat says:

I purchased the 24 volt cordless Homelite last year at Home Depot and I love it. I have about 6,000 sq. ft. of grass, and it is enough to do the entire yard, even with heavy grass. I have noticed that after a winter left on the charger I do seem to be getting closer to running out of juice by the time I’m done.

I just got an e-mail from Menard’s saying that they now sell the Remington Cordless mower, which has swappable batteries or can run plugged in if necessary. That seems like a promising idea.

Here’s the URL for the Remington mower site:

44. Doc Brwn says:

I’m a physicist/electrical engineer/mechanical engineer. I work at a synchrotron at a national laboratory, have a real good gut sense of what is possible and what is not, what the state of the art is in many fields,… I bought the Homelite 20″ cordless at Home Depot. This machine knocked my socks off. My lawn was waaay overdue for mowing. And it’s fairly big – front yard is ~40×100, side yards are each ~15×30, and rear is ~30×120. It was a bit wet this morning, grass was plenty tall, first time using this mower and I figured it would take 2 or 3 charges to do the whole thing. I was amazed. It did the job on the first charge, still had plenty of zap when I was done. The guys that designed this thing rock. They did a great job. I am so happy to have this machine. Thank you.

45. amh says:

I bought a 20″ cordless Homelite mower last year and it worked great all year. Could usually get all the back and the front too with one charge. This year, as someone posted above, it won’t charge. Shows power when plugged in, we replaced the charging terminal which looked like it wasn’t working (dirty and no lights) but still the batteries are dead after 17 hours of charging. Talked to the warranty people and while there is a 2 year warranty, they said the batteries are only covered for 1 year. To replace the batteries is $140, half the price of a new mower. So I wonder if we have to buy new batteries every year or was it a fluke? I suppose I expect batteries to be replaced every so often, but $140 every year is not a good investment.

46. steve says:

fyi
    if you do a goggle search on homelite 20 inch 24 voly cordless lawnmower you’ll find quite a few people who agfter a year the battery won’t charge. mine was a year old and it had a defective battery cable which caused the battery to short
    steve

47. Elaine says:

Just bought a Remington cordless mower. The dial would not stay in position to charge the battery so I had to hold it in place with a business card and some tape. It was supposed to charge after 10 hrs. 12 hrs. later, the battery was still charging. Tried to start it, and it will not start, even when plugged in (it has a corded option). It’s going back to the store for sure! After spending almost $600 for this brand, I am thinking about an electric mower.

48. SuperJdynamite says:

I bought the B&D model pictured above (the CMM1200) a few months ago. So far I’ve been happy with it.

It’s actually a mulching mower. The mulching feature works well enough that I’ve never had the grass catching bag hooked up to it and I don’t get clumps of dead grass littering the lawn. I’ve also used it to turn small piles of leaves into finely ground leaf litter.

The one-handle height adjustment works well, too.

Although it’s not a feature described in the manual it seems to have some kind of current limiting feature; if you drop it down onto and especially tall patch of grass it will turn itself off before it stalls. No matter — you simply lift the deck, pull the start lever and drop it slowly onto the grass.

So far the biggest con is the long battery charge time. Plan on tethering the mower with an extension cord the day before you intend to mow. That said it seems to hold a decent charge.

49. CDunk says:

I have tried two manual reel mowers and although they’re probably fine if you have no trees, they just can’t get through my lawn. Leaves are major obstacles and twigs seem to stop them dead in their tracks. I have found them consistently very frustrating to mow with — I’d rather cut my lawn with a scythe if I have to go fully manual.

I have been using a Neuton 5.1 for two years now on a 1/4 acre urban lawn in Minnesota. As with any battery in a cold climate, I expect that bringing the 24v lead acid battery inside for the winter will significantly prolong its usable lifespan, so I appreciate the lift-out battery. (I also have a spare battery which I have used only occasionally.) My sister owns a Black & Decker with a non-lift-out battery and she hauls the entire machine into her basement for the winter, which makes me feel almost intolerably smug.

This mower produces 240 watt hours of power, and that is enough for basic mowing tasks, although using a mulching blade slows the rotation too much and gives an uneven cut, so I use the normal blade for a cleaner look. This mower also has a trimmer attachment which many people find to be cumbersome, but I find it very convenient for both trimming and edging (though I admit a hand-held trimmer does a better job).

The 14″ cutting deck is a bit too narrow and still irks me. I’ve been coveting the Neuton 6.2′s 19″ deck (with 360 watt hours!), but I will probably just buckle under and wait for Bosch to WAKE UP and market it’s lithium ion mowers to the U.S. before I upgrade. Of course there’s always the Robomower to consider, on the off chance I inherit a large sum of cash before then.

As far as cutting power and maintenance go, this cordless electric is a great product. The lift-out battery is a must for cold climates or larger lawns, and lead-acid recycling programs are relatively clean and nearing 100% efficiency. Hopefully lithium recycling will be as advanced when we start to see large-format Lion batteries reaching widespread use.

50. davea0511 says:

I’m almost done with my conversion to an electric mower. Do a google search within a couple weeks for “pimp my push mower”. It has cost me less than $350, and will have a whopping 792 WattHrs. Yeah, that’s over 3X more than say the wimpy Neutron 5.1, and it has a 22″ blade, and it’s self-propelled. I’ll include instructions for anyone who wants to do this conversion themselves. Of course, the 12V batteries (deep cycle) just lift out for easy storage and swapping. It’s a 12V system to, so to add mowing time just add another battery. It also has a current meter in addition to the volt meter so you can see how fast you’re consuming electricity (tall grass, etc).

When I get solar panels to charge it I’ll be mowing by the power of the sun.

Those manual push mowers, incidentally, stop dead in their tracks if you have trees that drop sticks and junk.

51. davea0511 says:

I might add … I’m not sure why manufacturers cover the electric motor with all that plastic, which just looks stupid in my opinion. Showing this small cylinder as the motor is just plain cool.

52. Jim says:

I have been thus far pleased with my B&D CMM1200, the one pictured. The one hand height adjustment works well. It is easier to push than the weight would imply. It doesn’t bother my cats too much when I mow like the gas mower did. The mulching is excellent, very fine clippings and as long as the grass is not wet there is no clumping. The trick to long life is charge the battery after each use and maintain it on charge,

I chose this over the newer Neuton because B&D has a better chance of being around 10 years from now. The batteries are a commonly available part. B&D has been making cordless and electric mowers for a long time, so I feel better with their level of refinement than the Neuton.

53. Derek says:

@davea0511 – I’m very interested in your conversion specifications – mainly what and where you got your motor. I’ve been struggling trying to find the right motor for the right price. I old gas mower deck is ready and waiting. Can you post the doc somewhere on an online filesharing server or e-mail me – 924 [at] lirdies.com.

Thanks.

54. mike/Phoenix says:

I bought the Homelite UT13122 20 inch ninety days ago. It stopped charging last week and will only light the first red light on the mower (and never hits green on the charger no matter how long it’s plugged in). The Home Depot exchange policy expired the day the battery did! We’ll see what they say.

55. Mark says:

I am looking for a replacement transformer for my Black and Decker Cordless Electric Mower/Mulcher CMM625 model. The part number is 241672-02 and not produced anymore.

If you have a lawn that is not huge 1 acre or more, an electric lawn mower is the way to go. I have had mine 5 yrs and love it, but just broke the connection piece for the battery charger and the piece is obsolete.

Please contact me if you have it at mesp019@yahoo.com

56. Dale/Phoenix says:

I bought the Homelite UT13122 20″ last July, worked like a champ on my two small yards until about a month ago, then failed to hold a full charge. Homelite only warranties the battery for one year, and as one other reader observed, their website is of no use whatsoever.

I kept the mower in a shady spot, but I think the Arizona heat proves too much for this sensitive piece of equipment, and the heat in the garage would also be too hard on this gear. If you are in a hot climate, don’t waste your money on the Homelite. I’m out $300 and have a front yard that looks too much like an ongoing art project. Time to borrow the neighbor’s reliable gas mower!

57. Mary/Arkansas says:

I purchased the Homelite UT13122 from Home Depot in June. I’m going to return it this week before my 90 days are up. I was delighted at first at how it simply started every time, as I have fought year after year with brand new gas mowers that only survive 5 uses before the carb needs a rebuild. The fact that it started every time and no smelly gas to worry about almost made up for the fact that it bogs down when I get into the slightest bit of thick grass. I can’t imagine anyone having a lush zoysia lawn, which i do not, being able to use this without getting frustrated. It simply bogs down too easily, even when you set the blades up higher. Anyway, I went out to use it today and either the battery or charger or both are out, so I’m done with it. Appears to be a waste of money. This is a 24v battery model. Can anyone comment on models that have a higher volt battery? Will that make a difference on the bogging down? I’m thinking of checking out one of those, but don’t want to get burned again.

58. Mike / Phoenix says:

Follow up to my previous post. Home Depot agreed to send my UT13122 t out to repair on my behalf (battery had quit charging after 90 days). Got it back after a week, the module on the mower that the charger attaches to had been replaced. The mower was fully charged, I cut my lawn, plugged in the charger, looked the next morning and still no green lights.
    End of story, it’s as broke as before.
    Next step, try to deal with Homelite and begin the PITA repair cycle again.
    ARRRRRGHHH!

59. alex / santa barbara says:

DO NOT BUY THE HOMELITE 24V MOWER! I started reading this thread, everyone who bought one was pleased ~ at first. 1 year into it, we’re all talking about the machine no longer holding a charge. SAME HAS HAPPENED TO MINE. It’s a BAD PRODUCT, it’s actually a product that should be recalled. One year of use does not make for a good mower.

60. llcr says:

I just bought one of these mowers under the “Earthwise” brand. It was returned to the store by a previous owner who had it one day and didn’t think it had enough power for their lawn. I bought it but it was missing the instructions. Wondering about charging the battery. Do you leave it plugged in all the time during the growing season or just when it’s running low on power?

61. Wildson says:

Do the lead-acid batteries have the same “memory” problems as other rechargables (NiCads, I believe)…. that is, if you don’t drain them fully they will not discharge fully the next time. If so, the answer for extening battery life might be as simple as changing the way we mow. Instead of mowing the lawn then recharging, mow the lawn, but don’t recharge. When you have to mow again, run the battery out completely, then charge fully over night and finish the next day. It’s a bit different that the old finish-it-all-at-once way, but an easy adaptation.

62. Connie McCullough says:

DITTO: Don’t buy a Homelite UT13122 20″I bought one from Home Depot just over a year ago as I gave up on trying to start gas mowers due to shoulder problems. Well it was wonderful for just over 1 year. Now it won’t recharge with the light never moving over to the green but it has a pitiful low speed on the charge needed light. I have tried to find a place to have it serviced and a friend told me about this site, and lo and behold, all these folks have the same story! ANY IDEAS anyone wants to give me on a new cordless electric mower? I have only one electric outlet outside or I would use a corded one (which I had years ago and it lasted for over 5 years after buying it used)

63. I am an eco-researcher and have stumbled across the CMM1200 cordless mower. I really like the mower and feel that it can be used on almost any yard now.

We should all do our part to save the enviroment and encourage the growth of the solar and wind power industries. Cordless electric lawn mowers go a long ways towards these goals. I recently purchased the Black & Decker Cordless Electric Lawnmower the CMM1200. In the
    review I describe how to upgrade the mower to mow over 9,000 SQFT! I hope my review will help you make a decision about our future.

64. Chad says:

Bought the Homelite 20″ last year, loved using it all year and then, guess what happened when I tried it for the first time this year…. same as everyone else… barely moves. This is a one season mower.

65. Judi says:

I hear you, Chad. I have the same mower and this is my second summer and not only did the battery go dead but so did the charger. I have a very small lawn and only used it one summer. I am very upset since the batteries are $106. and who know how much the charger would be. It will be cheaper to buy another mower I’m sure. I think I will buy one with a cord this time.

66. George says:

I have a B&D 24 volt. It is adequate. I have no plans to replace it, because a gas mower is simply no longer a responsible option. It always mows my small lot with a single charge.

The main issues are related to slow blade speed, which produces an uneven cut due to low lift (air flow) coupled with too much weight, which crushes the grass as the machine rolls. This leaves visible tracks of slightly higher grass in the lawn.

The mower needs to lose 25 pounds (lithium ion?) and gain 1000 rpm.

67. Hack says:

I’ve had the Homelite for a couple years. After the first winter, it wouldn’t start. I went online and found people in a similar state who thought the batteries had frozen and were killed that way. I went to batteries.com to get replacements (need 2, about $70 shipped) but when I hooked them up, the mower still wouldn’t start. Tinkering around, I realized that it was just the poorly designed switch, and I could get the mower to run if I manually held it in. I got a $4 switch from Radio Shack to replace the original and everything’s been fine since then.

Oh – blades seem poor, get dull easy. Keep them sharp and you avoid the declining performance over time that others have noted.

68. Kaos says:

I just bot Yardworks 16″ rechargeable reel mower I tried a small area manually just to see how it cut I had to go over n over the same area 3-6 times b4 I finally reached down n ripped the dandelions out by hand That was fun. Next day battery charged & ready to go Ran for bout 15 mins & the front left wheel fell off. I called the toll free # only to have a machine tell me I had the wrong model #. Checked to make sure it was not my mistake I called back n again was told I had the wrong extension meaning my model # was wrong. So does anyone want to buy a 1 of a kind defective mower?

69. Kurtis says:

FWIW, I bought the Homelight 20 inch 24 volt mower 15 months ago. Used it last weekend without trouble. Today it refused to start. Plugging in the charger doesn’t light the charging indicator. This early death coupled with its poor performance means I’m not going to bother repairing this puppy unless there is something obvious that I can fix when I take it apart. Definitely another thumbs down on the Homelight cordless mower.

70. Bill says:

Have had the Homelite 20 inch 24 volt mower that is not talking a charge after one and a half seasons. Getting the run around on the repair. They know it was a bad product, but Homelite or American Mower Company is not going to stand behind it. Seem like a collective lawsuit could uncover tons of bad mowers, and force their hand on repayment for anyone who ever bought this mower. Any Mower lawyers out there?

71. Dean says:

Well, I wish I had of read all this before I bought my homelite last year when my old gas mower gave up the ghost. Had I seen all this I would have simply gotten another gas one from the get-go. Got mine somewhere around last august or so. Not quite a year old. Mowed the lawn once this year so far and it was great. This week, tried again and now am on day three back to the charger and it’s quitting after about ten – fifteen minutes in the grass. Don’t worry, it’s not a hayfield, it’s been a very wet year here so far & we’ve had few dry days to do yardwork. Just downloaded the manual online from manuals.com since I can’t find the one it came with , which means I can’t find the receipt either. Paid around $300.00CDN for it, so I’m going to keep trying. If it won’t charge up soon it’s getting trailered back to Home Depot as is with a big *JUNK* sign painted on it in flourescent yellow.

72. Dean says:

Well, update on my last. I’ve trickle charged my 20″ homelite continuously now since my last post, every other day it goes from red charge light to green. Two days each time. Friday it was green, the grass was short and it was sunny & dry, so I figured what the heck & tried it……… it cut twice as much as the last time I tried it, but still, after about 8 minutes after reading full charge…….. nothing…. the power couldn’t have drained faster if it blew a house breaker…. I’ve got Home Depot trying to get a copy of my receipt for me since I can’t find mine….. but their policy, after 30 days it gets taken to their repair guys,
    (return and/or exchange is 30 days), & then I end up with a battle to just get it replaced with a better mower once & for all compared to taking it for repair after repair every new season, if they fix it at all.

73. Dean says:

OK – afterthought time – would Homelite reconsider if I started a facebook
    “Homelite 24V rechargeable mowers are garbage” group and seen how many members it gets?

74. bob says:

Write a funny song like that “United Broke my Taylor Guitar” guy.

75. Dean says:

There’s a thought………if only I could play guitar ……….. wait could a mower be converted to a musical instrument when it’s useless for anything else?

76. Dean says:

update time. Yesterday I went & bought a new battery & switched it out myself for 25 bucks. Charged it up overnight. Today, mowed the lawn like new. We’ll see how well it holds up through the year and into next season. Hey, you’d spend at least 25 bucks on gas , oil & other maintenance for a gas one over a season right?

77. Bryan says:

Where did you get a replacement battery for $25? I ordered one last summer from Homelite when mine (like everyone else’s) went out after the first year, and it ran $100+. It, too, started dying–by the end of the summer it would take 3 full charges to mow my yard. $100+ per year? Forget it. I went back to a gas one this year and haven’t regretted it.

Electric mowers are a great idea, but if the Homelite model is any indication, they’re just not there yet.

Stay away from Homelite.

78. Dean says:

There’s a repair shop here ( I live in Halifax NS), that Home Depot uses for warranty work and they gave me the business card. It’s actually a battery for a Yardworks mower, but the repair guy said the only difference is that one’s green & one’s white. Same battery. It comes in a case with a carrying handle that you have to disassemble, but keep the case, as it’s a pop-out version so you can charge the battery over the off season inside since it has the charger jack on the case.
    take the battery out of the mower after the last mow of the year, wire it back into the case, then once a month plug it in for a day to keep the charge up. Should be fine for next year too another tech says. Wiring’s pretty easy, a phillips screwdriver and a quick sketch of what you see when you take the cowling off & you can’t go wrong. The only thing to remember is it’s two 12V batteries in series, and one batter has a red wire where the other has a yellow one, but they’re the same wire.

79. Deb says:

Dean -

I have the yardworks 60-1767-6 cordless and of course have had the same problem as everyone else with the battery. I went back to Cdn Tire and they sold me a battery in a case. If I’m reading your last post correctly, if I dissassemble the case, I will find 2 12 volt batteries in there? I can take them out and then wire them into the mower? The batteries in the mower are lableled as a model 6-DFM-17 and I can’t find anyone who sells these.
    Please, HELP

80. Freda says:

Is there a battery pack for for mm2051 Mccullogh Electric Lawn Mower?

81. No matter which one you choose, be sure you keep it up maintenance wise, and research what parts you use to do that.

82. Lia says:

So does anyone know if the Homelites have improved? I *just* bought a UT13222 (HomeDepot is drastically confused on their inventory…they say they sell the UT13122s and UT13126, the latter of which is the one I wanted…however, what they have in stock is UT13222, UT13124, and the occasional UT13120, several of which all ring up as UT13126! And this is the same for four stores in the area!). I haven’t tried the mower yet as I’m waiting for a bit of rain to tone down the pollen apocalypse before mowing this weekend so I don’t choke (NC here).

The UT13222 has a removeable battery, which I like, so I can take that inside during the winter and the mower itself will stay in an insulated shed. It’s easy enough to get a timer for the charger so it won’t overcharge (I imagine there is *some* sort of reason for a burst charge battery as opposed to a trickle-charge…?). Replacing a battery every year is more expensive than gas and oil for a cheaper gas-run. The whole yard isn’t huge, either, and since there is a goodly amount of shade in the front yard, I only cut that half as much as the back yard.

Does anyone have any experience with the UT13222 or should I return it for one of the other models they actually DO have in stock? I can’t find information on the models they have on the shelves. Even the Homelite site only shows information on the UT13122 for their cordless series, which is concerning (though the company assures me I did not buy a $200 mower for $300…). Are they selling a defunct model at HD?

83. Paul says:

Does anyone know the best way to extend the life of a rechargeable battery for a cordless Homelite lawn mower?

For example, let’s say I cut my lawn today and completely drain the battery. I plan to use my lawnmower again in two weeks. Should I:

A) Recharge it immediately and leave it plugged in until I’m ready to use it again in two weeks
    B) Recharge it immediately and unplug it once it’s fully charged, even though I won’t use it again for two weeks
    C) Leave it in its drained state, and recharge it the day before I plan to use it again in two weeks

Thanks!

84. Boogity Boogity says:

I would love a reliable electric cordless mower. But, I think I’ll wait for mowers with lithium battery packs to hit the US. It would be great if Ryobi would come out with a model that would maybe run off of 4 of their One+ battery packs (at 36V). The weight, bulk, and maintenance of lead acid batteries just doesn’t suit my needs.

85. longgrass says:

Problems regarding the YardWorks: 60-1767-6 / Yardworks 24V / 20″ 3-in-1 Cordless Lawn Mower battery.

I too had similar problems with battery life (two years). I just bought 2 Ritar RT 12180 batteries at A2Z BATTERIES PLUS in Brampton for just over $100.00 (ask for Ravi). These are far superior to the YardWorks “bottom of the line” battery as these are AGM (absorbant glass material) vs. lead. Reviews put their life cycle @ 5-6 years. No need to charge every two weeks in winter, just ensure you FULLY charge before first use. In summer, always keep it charged to the max… don’t try and empty the battery. For those of you who have the newer model and wish to stay with that battery pack… Kingspoint Small Engine repair, accross the road from Rona (and A2Z) sells the YardWorks pack for $95.00. Far cheaper than Cdn Tire???

Aside from the initial poor battery performance, if the blade is sharp…. it does a decent job.

86. Monty says:

I have a 36V Black and Decker (cordless). It is supposed to handle 1/3 acre. My yard is much smaller than that and I always have way more power than I need. I had a B&D electric years ago and the only thing I didn’t like was the cord.

Quiet and instant starting with a pushbutton. I love it.

One caveat: It takes about three charging sessions for the mover to develop full power. I almost took it back after the first one, but decided to give it another chance. Sure glad I kept it.

And one note of realism: You can’t let your lawn get totally out of control before you mow it. As adequate as the power is for most lawns, it won’t chop down hay stalks (Or at least not for long).

87. Maxine says:

I have had a Ryobi mulchinator mower for 16 years and love it!!!
    Had to replace the battery once and now it is time for the second one. Average size yard, no problems. However with the cost of a new battery, and the tires are about worn out I think it is time for a new mower.
    Ryobi quit making mowers not long after I got mine so when I started my mower search I was delighted to see they have just this year come out with a new Ryobi cordless. It’s a 48 volt and everything sounds great. But I don’t think it is made by the same co as my old Ryobi. Home Depot is the only place I can find it and they have it listed with the Homelite brands. Does anyone know anything about this mower, or its manufacturer?

88. Paul says:

I’ve had a Ryobi Mulchinator 24V for 10, perhaps 13 years. Still runs great. Battery life is excellent – I go months before I have to recharge as my lawn isn’t that large (live in Calif and to reduce water bills, most of my 1 acre property is native plants). I like the Mulchinator because no clippings to pick up – once you mow, you can barely find the mulched grass clippings.

I’d highly recommend anyone buy an electric if they have a “normal” sized lawn on relatively flat terrain. And perhaps even a push mower for small yards. The only reason I can see to buy a gas powered mower is for large yards and hilly terrain. Glad I got rid of my gas mower years ago – much saner to use electric and far cheaper/easier.

89. Lo says:

I sure wish I would have read tall the post on Homelite! I bought the 24v cordless mower and the initial charge lit up the charger lights but the mower lights still only showed red, mowed front and back fine, 2 weeks later, plugged it in overnight, now barely runs and the lights on the charger dont even light up, unfortunatly I bought it from Craigs list and when they demo’d it for me I did not know to look at the battery lights, so I am screwed unless someone knows where to get replacement battery in Denton Texas?

90. 1201SLD says:

(Most of the negative user-reviews for cordless mowers I’ve seen on various websites find fault with things which the mowers aren’t designed for, issues clearly outlined in manuals: wet grass, pushing too fast through heavy grass, not overlapping passes, etc.)

I have been using a Homelite UT 13122 year-around since June 2007about 300 sessions/charges, about $1 each. I love this mower but… “lawn” is 18,000sf St Augustine grass in South Florida. Problem is similar to Donna, above, that even at highest setting, it cuts too short, I assume because of the weight of the mower and the cushy/sink-in nature of the grass. Cutting too shore + extra resistance to the blade,greater drain on the battery. It takes me four 40 minute sessions/four charges to do the whole thing (which is fine given the FL sun), but it’s the best/cheapest/least-injury-prone aerobic and strength exercise I’ve ever had, worth a pound a week in the summer. Larger wheels aren’t feasible. This problem seems typical of cordless mowers I’ve auditioned. I will definitely buy another.

91. Larry says:

Just some battery facts. AGM means adsorbed glass mat, but it’s still a lead-acid battery. With any lead-acid, running it to anywhere near full discharge will drastically decrease battery life. For best results, always keep fully charged, never go below half-charged, and the batteries should last at least a few years and hundreds of charge cycles.

92. Gary Cee says:

Bought a used 24V cordless for my then skeptical wife about 10 years ago. (My wife handles the mowing chores at our house) She was quite negative when she first saw it . That has all changed ! She would never consider a gas mower again. The charger was missing originally so I wired up a pair of Sears automatic 10Amp automotive type chargers to charge the batteries simultaineously. Works like a champ. The original batteries (Sealed lead acid ,12 volt 17 Amp/hour) petered out at around three years but they were at least three years old when I bought the mower. I replaced the original batteries with a pair of batteries from Harbor Freight car boosters, cost total of $50. That was six years ago and the batteries are still going strong. So much for some of the earlier, uninformed commentary from push mower advocates!
    No more oil changes, broken recoils, valve adjustments, gas cans and balky starting. The old Honda stink bomb went to the landfill years ago .

93. Dean says:

OK.. Yea, me again, one year later. Yes I’ve been away from here mainly because since my last post with the replacement battery I was quite happy.

Now I feel I must rescind my favorable report on the Homelite 20″ Cordless mower model UT13122. Last spring I had to get a replacement battery and it was fine all year. And I’ll admit, that was my own dumb fault for improper storage over the winter. This past winter I removed the battery, brought it inside and gave it a nice warm comfy bed and plugged in the electric blanket for it for 17hours every 30 days. And then after the final off season charge, carried it out & re-installed it into the mower.

The indicator on the charger said it was fully charged, but the second I inserted the safety key and pulled the handle, the motor slowed down and the indicator on the mower itself went to the red zone… meaning less than 5% charge in the actual battery according to the manual. This time I think it’s the actual charger that’s bad.

To make matters more frustrating, upon further investigation, I found out that the place where I got the battery last time is no longer in the parts supply business, they’re just doing repairs now. And to my knowledge they were the only place in town that serviced homelite products.

Quite seriously considering going back to a gas mower. This is incredibly aggravating.

94. Liz says:

I have two cordless electric mowers: a B&D and a Toro. I’ve had the B&D mower 14 years and the battery is just now starting to show signs of not holding a charge. There are no instructions in the manual for replacing it, though. I’ve replaced the batteries in the Toro once in 13 years. They are both great and I would never want a gas-powered mower (for a small yard)!!

95. Dean says:

Well, today I went back to gas. Would I have bought an electric instead under other circumstances? I honestly don’t know after the trouble I’ve been having. Here in Eastern Canada, it rains so often that by the time you get the chance to mow because you’re not at work or it’s not raining, the grass needs a scythe, not a mower. I guess some things should be sold according to their climate zone.

96. Bruce says:

Bought an Earthwise 20″ 24 volt mower about 3 years ago. It’s been pretty easy to use and worked great until now when it won’t charge. The charger gets power but the charging light doesn’t light anymore..

97. Alexander says:

Ok, I am going to start this post by stating the oblivious when it comes to the battery operated Homelite mower.

When it comes to yards, any that are over the size of a postage stamp, what push behind will not need to be refueled to complete mowing. Even if using a gas powered mower most have to be refilled at the 1/4 or more mark (unless yr like me and power walk it), as will as its cordless counter part. We all know the true issue is how long it takes to “refuel.” Gas mowers you just grab the can fill done back in action; however, in its current configuration the battery operated will take 18+/- hours to return to action. I have found away to lower this time to 4 hrs, just enough time to take a break and break out the weed whacker.

The solution came out of desperation, I lost my charger in a move, so I had the mower and no way to use it. I am not the type to replace something that is not totally destroyed. After going through all my chargers (laptops, cordless drills, ac adapters ect) and not finding a match to fit the port, I decided to dismantle the battery section. All you need is a Philips head screw driver, and about 5mins. Below is step by step:
    1) lift battery out of mower by its handle.
    2) Turn over, you will find 8 screws, that connect the black box to the red lid, remove all 8. Do not remove the long ones that connect the plug to the box.
    3) Flip back over and remove the red top. This will expose the 2 batteries. Do not mess with the wiring at all. You will find 4 terminals (2 for each battery), they are marked positive and negative.
    4) Using a regular batter charger, like the ones you would use on a car battery, connect the clips to their respective terminals. Ensure you do not exceed 12amps. What lowers the charge time is the rate at which power is delivered to the batteries, my charger operates automatically at 180 sec on, 10 sec off.

Disclosure:
    I have charged my batteries using this method for one month now. I started with a smaller charger that delivered a max charge of 6ams trickle charge, this charger cut 8 hours off the charge time. I then purchased a larger one from AutoZone for 50.00, this one had options for: 2amps, 10amps, 50amps, SLI and Deep Cell. When I need a quick charge (4hrs), I set the charger for 10amps Deep Cell, and 4 hours later I am back in action. I have noticed that using this method also has yielded a longer battery life. I can now due almost a full 1/2 archer on one charge.Once I am done mowing I reconnect and set for 2amps. Not once have my batteries over heated or even gotten warm.

I do not know what this will do for the battery life. This method could shrink it, or do noting at all. On the high side I have noticed that Autozone carries batters (car and lawn mower), on the shelf that will fit this mower. I have not experimented on changing the power source out yet. I do not think it will do harm as long as 24volts is not exceeded.

98. Alexander says:

Addition to previous comment. Last comment was getting a bit long. Sorry but its good info, coming from a guy who loves his gas powered toys. I bought this mower to see whats its like.

These points need to be mentioned:

Things that will effect battery life:
    1) Height of lawn. If your yard has not been mowed in about a month or more, you will have to cycle through deck heights. This means a longer cut time, that or have someone knock it down a bit then you finish with your mower. Too thick and it will clog.

2) Deck height. Me I like my lawn high and tight, so my deck is set at one notch up from the last. I cut my yard once every 1.5-2 weeks depending on rain. At that height I can complete my mow on 2 charges. By raising the deck, I can do the whole yard on one charge. My yard is 1/2 archer with lots of turns and hills.

3) Out put type. With this mower you have 3 options (if you purchased it new with all parts).
    A) Side discharge – I can only assume that this one would be the best, because it will lower motor strain. I do not have my shoot.

B)Bagging – I use this style. Again bagging lowers the strain on the motor, by doing this you reduce energy usage. This increases run time. Down side…lots of stops to empty bag.

C) Mulching – ENERGY EATER! The mower has to work harder to keep up, and tends to bind up. Binding up eats tons of power, and will greatly reduce you run time.

The configuration I use again is; Deck set at (1) notch up from last, with bagging. I can also pick up all leaves as I mow. This unit creates alot of suction. Like this I can do 1/2 archer, in half a day, high and tight cut, very dense grass, and it looks awsome. Without bothering the neighbors and my hands tingling afterwards.

99. Lily says:

What do you do when the battery no longer holds a charge? I purchased a renamed Craftsman from Sears less than 3 years ago. The only help Sears offers is the 1-800 number in the States for the original manufacturer. Cost of the battery + taxes + shipping to Canada! Big help.

100. Bob says:

I have had it with cordless mowers. I purchased a Yardworks Cordless Mower three years ago. Two years later it started acting up. I replaced the battery for $100 and it worked one more time before it started slowing down and then not working at all. After checking it out, it appears the motor is burnt out one month after the 2 year warranty expired. To replace the motor willo cost a couple of hundred dollars with the cost of the motor $64 and $100 labour. taxes, misc etc., more than what I paid for the mower in the first place.
    So I am stuck with two $100 batteries and a dead mower.
    I have had my corded mower for more than twenty years.