post-polydrive.jpg

For those of you who own VWs and Audis and work on them regularly — you know who you are — Snap-on’s made life a little easier with a custom socket specifically designed to ease the removal and installation of Polydrive head bolts

No offense intended, but after working on my 944S2, I’ve sworn that I’ll never buy a German car again.  Lease one, maybe.  But not buy.  However, I know from email that more than a few of you are fans of the yellow, black, and red and are willing to do what it takes to keep ‘em running — even if that means removing the front of the car and moving the radiator into the “service position” to replace an alternator.

If you’ve never heard of polydrive, you can ignore this post — and count yourself lucky.

The #10 (pictured) will sell for $28 and should be available from your friendly local truck right now.

VW/Audi #10 Polydrive Head Bold Socket [Snap-on, Warning: PDF Link]

7 Responses to Finds: Snap-on’s VW/Audi Polydrive Head Bolt Socket

1. Fred says:

A “service position” for the radiator? Gotta love the attention to detail of German engineering.

2. ambush27 says:

See thats why you gotta go for the vanagon, completely air-cooled.

3. ambush27 says:

no wait i think it was the mini-bus that was air cooled.

4. nrChris says:

Ambush,

I believe that the Vanagon were also air cooled until maybe 2000. It had a different name at that point anyway. A bud of mine swears by VWs. For me, I would rather have to contend with my Ford’s heater coil. Thank you very much.

5. Trevor D. says:

“…but after working on my 944S2…”

Oh God, don’t bring back the nightmares, please!! 4 head gaskets, oil pan gasket (10 HOUR job), 1 car fire… the list goes on for my 944. It only ran 6mos out of the year. I sold it in a hurry after the 4th head gasket I did. Not fun.

6. Paul says:

Germans invented cars. I can’t imagine that they make the very worst ones. None of the new cars look very fun to work on to me though. I think I’ll hang onto my tractor (1966 Volvo P1800S) forever.

7. Robert says:

Yeah, Right!!!
    Snapon has put that tool out in limited supply and only in two staes for a test market.
    NOT AVAILABLE TO ANYONE ELSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If any one can tell me where to buy this socket let me know
    RBIN931222@msn.com