quadbox.jpg

We’ve seen a number of cool products from GearWrench this year, including some truly slick and innovative magnetic oil drain plug removers.  Now GearWrench has announced the Quad Box Ratcheting Wrench system:  a single tool with four reversible ratcheting box ends in 4 different sequential sizes.

For a wrench, the Quad Box is stuffed full of features.  It boasts a 5-degree ratcheting mechanism – like other GearWrench ratcheting tools – so even in cramped areas the ratchet teeth will catch and provide movement.  The four box end collars protrude out only slightly from both top and bottom on each end of the wrench, which makes for a slim profile.  Each size has its own dedicated reversing lever recessed into the hardened, forged beam for easy control.

Each set (metric or SAE) consists of two wrenches, which gives you a range of eight sizes:  5/16, 3/8, 7/16, ½ (on the SAE smaller wrench), 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4 (on the larger SAE wrench).  Metric sizes are 8, 10, 12, 13MM (on the smaller wrench), and 16, 17, 18, 19MM (on the larger).

If you’re like us, you’re probably saying, “Wait a sec.  Where’s the 15mm?”  Easily one of the most commonly used sizes in the metric set, the 15mm is MIA in the Quad Box line.  That’s more than a small hiccup.  On the other hand, the SAE set seems to offer a good range of sizes.

We couldn’t find pricing or availability for the Quad Box Ratcheting Wrench yet, but we’ll keep you informed as soon as we find out more.

Quad Box Ratcheting Wrench [GearWrench]

From reader comments:  Yihao Zhang of GearWrench left a comment to indicate that the QuadBox will be available shortly at Sears and NAPA for $24.99 to $29.99 for two wrenches (8 sizes).  A number of readers also commented that they haven’t had near as great a use for the 15mm as we have recently.  Mr. Zhang backed this up indicating that the eight sizes selected for the initial QuadBox set were selected via a popularity study using Danaher’s — GearWrench’s parent company that manufactures/has manufactured tools for a wide variety of brands including Craftsman — sales numbers.

17 Responses to Quad Box Ratcheting Wrench

1. TL says:

I’ve never used a 15mm. My garage is dominated by asian toys. Would I have use for my surplus 15′s if it has a more asian flair?

2. TL says:

Oops, that should read:
    “Would I have use for my surplus 15′s if it had a more European flair. “

3. Chuck Cage says:

Wow, I’m pretty surprised. We’ve used the mess out of the 15 on Hondas and Toyotas in the past, and it’s in decent rotation on a 944 that’s in the garage right now. Incredibly, it’s pretty common on the Yukon in the Project Garage as well.

4. TL says:

Hmmm. Most of my work has been on a parade pre-1995 Toyotas and has included engine swaps, 22R timing chain replacements, EFI work, clutch jobs, and more brake jobs than I care to think about. I find almost everything is either 8, 10, 12, 14, or 19mm. I did have an old rotary Mazda pickup that was rather fond of 17mm bolts, but all my 15mm wrenches and sockets are looking shiny as new.

5. Yihao Zhang says:

Chuck:

I work for GearWrench, based in Sparks, Maryland. Thank you very much for the review of GearWrench QuadBox, the only product that combines the speed of a ratcheting wrench with the conveinence of multiple sizes.

There is no doubt that 15mm is used in many places. As we were trying to include 8 sizes in 2 wrenches, we had to select the 8 most popular sizes which did not include 15mm.

We definitely appreciate your thoughts on Quadbox. The product will be available shortly at Sears and NAPA with a suggested retail price of $24.99 or $29.99 for two wrenches (8 sizes) and accessories.

Thanks again for your interest in the product.

6. Roy says:

I’ve used 15mm at three fittings on a bicycle: pedals, track nuts, and crank bolt. But this wrench won’t work at the first and last of those (needs open-ended and a thin-walled wrench, respectively).

7. Myself says:

Seems to me, then, that there should be an A/B set with the eight most popular sizes, and an X/Y/Z set with twelve in a range. Personally, under the hood of a 1990 3.1-liter GM V6, the 13mm socket was practically the only tool I needed. Everything in there that could be 13mm was. And the rest was 10mm.

Bicycles usually have their own specialized tools anyway, don’t they? I don’t think it’s fair to compare *any* general-purpose tool to a bicycle tool.

8. Old Donn says:

Interesting. Danaher makes Craftsman too, and it’s 16mm that’s usually hardest to find at Sears. One size fits all tools like this turn out to be pretty limited, application wise. This tool looks cool, but there will be clearance problems with the heads extending out on either side. You’d be money ahead to get a set of standard issue, traditional ratcheting combos. They’ll get used every day while this thing gathers dust in the bottom of the toolbox.

9. jeff says:

This new wrench is one of the stupidest and most thoughtless designs I’ve ever seen, you’ve actually managed to defeat the purpose of the original “ratcheting boxsocket” type wrench by having two sizes on one end of the wrench, lets say you have three 19mm nuts on a threaded shaft, how do you reach the nut in the middle with this wrench ? you couldn’t have talked to any mechanics when you designed this one.

10. tj says:

PLease send me your 15mm wrenches! I use it all the time repairing geman autos – please include a 21mm while you are at it!

11. Rick says:

I see Jeff’s point, however, we’re not all shop mechanics. I deliver boats. Fixes are down and dirty with whatever can be brought on board. I can’t carry every tool that might be needed (that’s not our job) so these find a useful place for me.

12. AJ says:

I would have liked to see an 8,10,12,14 wrench (all even numbers). That would have been perfect for the glovebox of my Subaru. Fans of the 13mm size could just top of their Quadbox with a 13mm wrench. Or Gearwrench could make a 9,11,13,15 (all odd numbers) wrench.

I think the 8,10,12,14 Quadbox would be so useful it could be sold by itself.

13. Ryan says:

jeff Says:

February 8th, 2007 at 5:50 am

Ridiculous statement. These products are not designed to replace your entire set of tools just to be a fantastic addition. When you have 3 nuts on a shaft you’ll need 2 wrenches of the same size. use your combination wrench on the middle nut! Instead of carrying 16 wrenches to have 2 of each size, I now carry 10 wrenches…

14. Sonia Hall says:

A chum encoraged me to look at this site, nice post, fascinating read… keep up the cool work!

15. Micah says:

It is a nice space saving concept. Not a replacement for combination wrenches but a nice addition. I have 3 Ford trucks and I use 15mm all the time. Almost as much as 13mm and 21mm. I don’t care what anyone says. In the real world 15mm is used all the time!!!!! I service many types of vehicles and use my 15mm on almost every other repair. This is a tool for homeowners/ contractors who use tools occasionally. Armstrong is the only Danaher tool division that actually makes true mechanics tools. And yes Craftsman is a occasional use tool company as well. When you are making a living with your tools you can’t afford to have cheap tools. And I agree with the above post that this is not very well thought out and it defeats the purpose of a go though wrench. A ratchet and socket set has much more sizes……and this does basically the same as a low profile ratchet.

16. Snidely Whiplash says:

For those who bought this set, the missing 15mm sized Quad Box Ratcheting Wrench is now available, along with the missing 9mm, 11mm, and 14mm sizes, as Gearwrench product number 85213.

17. Five Finger Death Punch says:

For Reference:

Metric 12 pt.:
    PART# ITEM NAME SIZE
    85211 QuadBox™ Ratcheting Wrench METRIC 8mm x 10mm & 12mm x 13mm
    85212 QuadBox™ Ratcheting Wrench METRIC 16mm x 17mm & 18mm x 19 mm
    85213 QuadBox Ratcheting Wrench Metric 9mm x 11mm & 14mm x 15mm
    85214 QuadBox Ratcheting Wrench Metric 20mm x 21mm & 22mm x 24mm

SAE 12 pt.:
    PART# ITEM NAME SIZE
    85201 QuadBox™ Ratcheting Wrench SAE 5/16″ x 3/8″ & 7/16″ x 1/2″
    85202 QuadBox™ Ratcheting Wrench SAE 9/16″ x 5/8″ & 11/16″ x 3/4″
    85203 QuadBox Ratcheting Wrench SAE 13/16” x 7/8” & 15/16” x 1”

HVAC:
    85220 – QuadBox™ HVAC Ratcheting Wrenches SAE  1/4″ x 3/16″ (Square) & 3/8″ x 5/16″ (Square)
    85221 – QuadBox™ HVAC Ratcheting Wrenches SAE  1/4″ x 3/16″ (Square) & 9/16″ x 1/2″ (Hex)