post-kobaltcsd.jpgHaving recently reviewed both the Skil iXO and the Black & Decker SmartDriver, we couldn’t help but noticed the Kobalt version on the shelves at Lowes today.

It appears similar to the others externally in terms of form factor, and it features a top-mounted switch like the Black & Decker.  Interestingly, Kobalt does print a torque specification on the packaging: 43 in-lbs.

Where the Kobalt really differs from the others is in terms of packaged accessories.  While both the iXO and the SmartDriver come with a charging stand, the Kobalt uses a simpler wall-wart with a cord that plugs into the tool.  It also ships with just two bits — a standard and Phillips.

This is reflected in the price, which at $29.97 is about $10-$15 less than the Skil and Black & Decker tools.  We haven’t yet held or used one, but we’ll let you know more when we get the chance.  Of course, Lowe’s sells all three, so if you’re in the market you can do your own on-site comparison.

The Kobalt 3.6V Li-Ion Battery Cell Screwdriver [Lowe's]

22 Responses to The Kobalt 3.6V Li-Ion Cordless Screwdriver

1. JESSE HINSON says:

JUST LETTTING YOU KNOW THAT I HAVE PURCHASED 4 OF THESE KOBALT SCREWDRIVERS IN WHICH I USE FOR MY SMALL BUSINESS I OWN WERE MY TECHS ARE USING SCREWDRIVERS ALL DAY LONG.. I CAN DEFINATELY SAY THAT THESE ARE ONE OF THE BEST INVESTMENTS IVE MADE. MY GUYS ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM AND THE POWER IS VERY GOOD FOR SUCH A LITTLE DRILL. THE CHARGE ON THEM IS ALSO UNBELIEVABLE GREAT. I WOULD DEF. RECOMMEND THIS TOOL TO ANYONE IN THE MARKET FOR UR BASIC CORDLESS SCREWDRIVER!!

2. Steve Johnson says:

I own both the B&D and Lobalt versions of this tool. I bought the latter to leave at our farm and not lug all my tools back and forth, and its price was right for that purpose. I wondered how they compared performance wise and performed. a little test. First I drove a 6×2″ coarse drywall screw into the side of a 2×4. Both drivers drove it completely, but the B&D seemed to do it a bit more effortlessly. I then did the same with a 10×1 1/2″ square drive wood screw. The Kobalt started stalling out with around 1/4″ to go, while the B&D finished it off with no trouble. I previously had (and returned) a sililar generic version of this tool from Meijer ($29)-by contrast, it was junk and not worth having. I consider both the Kobalt B&D good tools, with the B&D getting a modest but definite edge on performance.

3. Where can I purchase a chargng cord for my 3.6V Kobalt screwdriver?

4. JMS says:

What a piece of junk !!!! This tool has no power what so ever, it works better as a hammer. I can put a screw in tighter bare handed than this thing can, I mean bare handed.. without a screw driver. It has a hard time putting a screw in just plain drywall without even a stud behind it. I would not recommend buying this product to anyone

5. kevin herold says:

did you ever find a place to buy a charger for the kolbalt screwdriver.. saw your posting and thats what i am looking for..kevin

6. Zay says:

Ever find a place to get a charger??

I use one in my paintball shop and we accidentally sold the charger with an electronic marker that required a charger… we contacted the buyer but he never got it back to us. I used the thing a lot, and I miss having it around the bench. I need a charger!!!

7. Steve says:

You can find the cord and ends at Radio Shack. They also carry a variable charger with changeable ends that adjusts from 3v to 7v. The item# 273-1696. I can’t find that item on the Radio Shack website but you might be able to go to the store and find a similar one.

8. P Sin says:

for those with the original charger. Whats the output voltage and current (mah) rating?

9. Jim Tucker says:

Purchased this little driver 6 months ago and for some reason the trigger switch is now hanging up. Haven’t used it much, but it just comes on by itself every once in a while and wraps itself around the zip bag it came in. I like the size and was ok with the power, but it’s not useable now. Anybody want a charger, bag and 2 bits ?

10. dan says:

I need a replacement charger……we have missed placed ours and can not locate a replacement.

11. Barry says:

I purchased one of Kobalt Screwdrivers, years ago used it all the time. Then I received a Rigid one a yr or so ago, and put the kobalt in its storage bag that it comes with and did not use it anymore. About a month ago I saw it laying on a shelve in my shop and decided to plug it in to see if it would even charge. And beleive it or not it did, and I use it all the time around the house for small projects. With it’s compact size it will fit just about anywhere. Great tool.

12. Barry says:

Went and got my charger, which is the original one. It shows Kobalt Plug in class 2 transformer, Model No : D6300, Input : 120 V 60 Hz 3.3 W, Output : 6 VDC 300 mA. Hope this helps.

13. Jim says:

I liked it until it dropped off counter once, now it does not work at all. Used it mainly for hobbies, now it’s junk.

14. Brady says:

Hey I am trying to buy this drill for my father-in-law for fathers day. He had one and wants another one for the lake!

Does anyone know where I can purchase it? I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Brady

15. Jeff says:

I have the Kobalt 3.6V cordless screwdriver that I purchased several years ago and use it daily removing electrical panel covers and for other small uses. It is the best cordless screwdriver I have ever owned. I can’t seen to wear it out. The outer casing is badly worn and very dirty but it works as well today as it did years ago. I went shopping today for one like it for my daughter but can’t find anyone who sells it. I would like to give these “outstanding” little tools to my customers and friends for gifts. For those who own cordless screwdrivers their longevity depends on abuse or non-abuse of the tool, and where it is stored. When not in use, as with other electrical tools, it should be stored where the relative humidity is 30%-50% and the temperature ranges between 30-80 degrees F.

16. Peggy Ennis says:

purchased this screwdriver 3 yrs ago while we were moving. It got lost in the move and found a week ago while we were moving again. Plugged it in and it will not charge. Tested charger and it is working. Any suggestions?

17. TR says:

My Kobalt cordless screwdriver went missing a year ago but I still have the bag and charger. I’m going to look for it one more time before I give up. I don’t think you can buy these anymore, I really liked mine. Some one can have my charger if I don’t find it this time.

18. Hippiejam says:

Looking for a charger too.Anyone find where I can get one ?..Radio Shack had nothing to help me.

19. Josh Young says:

Does anyone out there still have there proof of purchase and could possibly provide me with the lowes item number for this? i am trying to return one and they need the item number for the return